Sunday 23 June 2013

Thank You For The Music


It was only as I was sat here this morning drinking my second coffee of the day that I realised just how large a part of my life music has become.

I've always loved music, of course I have. I think it would be difficult to find someone out there who doesn't love at least one type of music. I have my favourite artists and they've changed over the years as I've matured, but those lost as favourites will never be considered any less important to the memories of my distant adolescence. It may not have taken me long to realise that Jason Donovan's songs were bland and lacking any emotion and soul, but hearing one of those terrible songs now still transports me back to another world; my younger world of new loves, nicking out of school at lunchtime to avoid school dinners, first kisses, school exams and 2-for-a-penny Mojo's.

Anyone who knows me well knows of my love of David Bowie. I first took him seriously when I was 15 years old. I saw Labyrinth at a special repeat screening at the cinema a couple of years after its release. Admittedly my primary reasons for giving his older music a listen were the tights and make-up, but something in his voice that day gave me goosebumps and it had never happened before, and rarely since.

My first experience of Bowie's real music (not the pop/mainstream stuff of the 80's) was when I borrowed Aladdin Sane from someone for whom I used to work. I felt honoured that I was allowed to take this beautiful vinyl album home and listen. When I got home I went straight to my room, closed the door, put the needle on that most wondrous spinning disc full of promise, and when the music played I felt elated to have discovered him. I even felt slightly nervous because, quite frankly, was I supposed to like this? The disjointed, erratic but still melodious style of piano that Mike Garson played was completely alien yet absolutely right. To this day I hear the album and I'm back in my old room, feeling excited and scared and ever so chuffed with myself for finding this musical genius!


Since that day my mind has been a lot more open to bands I've never heard of and to those that peers and/or society told me I shouldn't like, whether it be down to my age or my other musical tastes. Over the years I learned to accept that in order to fully enjoy the music I choose I need to stay true to myself. It meant that at the age of 33 I finally admitted I love jazz, and now my iPod is full of Ella Fitzgerald, Stacey Kent, Eartha Kitt, The Puppini Sisters, Caro Emerald, Louis Armstrong, Slim Gaillard, all alongside such greats as Foo Fighters, Dolly Parton, Jace Everett and Paloma Faith. My music taste is eclectic, but it's mine and I make no apologies or excuses, and nor would I expect you to explain your music tastes to me.




But things change. It seems that music starts to lose its significance with us as adults to some degree, and certainly for some more than others, and I had no idea it had happened to me until recently.

For some people music does remain an essential part of their lives, whether it's playing an instrument or living each day with a soundtrack to their lives running through their heads. Some of us don't seem able to walk five minutes down the street without mp3's blasting straight into our ears.

For me, however, music had started to become a background noise. It was always there and always heard, but I stopped really listening. Then I joined Stockton Town Choir back in January and my focus shifted more significantly that I realised. In fact it took six months for me to see its significance and importance.

The background noise of music was suddenly right there in front of me. It was surrounding me, pulling me in, and I was suddenly being hugged by a huge warm and comfy blanket of “welcome home”. I was comfortable and happy from the first day, albeit I was a tentative singer for a while. Now, though, it's a part of who I am and it's brought even more music to my life than I ever thought possible.

The community that both surrounds and is the choir is phenomenal. I've made a lot of friends who would never have been part of my life otherwise, and on top of that I've been introduced to more and more music and it's returned the passion I'd previously lost.

There are musicians, bands, individuals and moments that I will never forget...

The enthusiasm, passion and drive of Mike McGrother who leads us into fun, challenging performances in the unlikeliest of places.

The goosebumps that so rarely happen when I listen to a singer returned on our big rehearsal night for #smile at Stockton Riverside College. Joe Hammill stood, one single voice in one large room full of people, and he sang so hauntingly beautiful that I could only listen while a lump formed in my throat. To this day I'm not sure how I remembered to sing. Then the terror and joy of us all performing with him (and others) on Stockton High Street!


The introduction of new bands like Fake Major and Cattle & Cane, who I knew instantly should already have sky-rocketed to fame and fortune; those who lose themselves in their music and make you forget, for a short while at least, that anything exists outside of that moment, in that room, with those melodies and voices.



The sheer joy of watching Infant Hercules (the male voice choir also led my Mike McGrother) grow in solidarity, strength and harmony over three months. Their performance at Saltburn Theatre with the Wildcats of Kilkenny was perhaps beyond any expectations they even had of themselves. It was powerful, beautifully so, but also carried with it warmth and pride, and I can recall no finer performance from those gutsy blokes!
 
I've been mesmerised by the incredible musicianship of Gordie MacKeeman and his Rhythm Boys. What they can do with a double bass, a couple of guitars, a banjo and a fiddle is something very special. Add to that the lively and highly accomplished level of tap/clog dancing and the whole room was blown away.
 

I've had inspiration thrust upon me by watching talented, enthusiastic musicians play, to the point where I once again picked up my cello and attempt to make some kind of acceptable noise that doesn't make dogs bark and babies cry.

There have been many, many moments of joy, goosebumps and feelings of solidarity with both old and new friends, and old family members (sorry dad!), but to list them would be to bore you rigid.

My point for this post isn't that 'choir is great, everyone should try it', because that would just be daft. It was and continues to be right for me, and I'll keep going as long as I possibly can. My point is about the music itself and what it can give you.

I spent a lot of years taking very little notice of the music that surrounded me, and because of that I lost some of the joy in my life. Open up your ears and your minds, listen to bands you don't know anything about, try music you never expect to enjoy, and all the while listen... really, really listen...

Try telling me that you don't have a song that instantly lifts your spirits and makes you smile. I know somewhere in your collection there's one that brings tears to your eyes despite you not knowing why. There's a song there, too, that makes you feel comforted. And don't forget the one that makes your adrenalin pump faster and harder until your lead foot makes you speed down the motorway faster than you know you should.

Music is everywhere. We have so many songs on our players now that we can barely choose what we want to play. When you do finally make a choice don't forget to listen to it, enjoy it, appreciate it, and let it speak to you, enrich your life and make your world even more special.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment