Saturday 25 May 2013

The Piano (or A Triumphant Day in Stockton)

I'm sitting here at my laptop typing away with absolutely no clue what's going to end up on the page.  When I'm writing I usually have some kind of idea where I want it to go, but this time I'm just letting it all flood out in one mammoth babble of happiness!

Warning!  The text below will contain descriptions of uplifting, happy times with music, dance, laughter and singing.  Not suitable for miserable gits who can't just sit back sometimes, relax and let the world take them on a nice little ride.

Now then, yesterday was the much anticipated Piano on Stockton High Street, an event organised by Mike McGrother intended to help promote the fabulous regeneration of his beloved town, and to make people smile and have some fun on an otherwise cold, dull day.
I've considered going into specifics about who performed what, when, how, etc etc etc... but that's not what this post is about.  This is more about a feeling.  And besides, there'll be videos out there and it would be so much easier to just take a look (and I know you want to!).  What I will do is give you a few photos and a little roll call, and if I've missed anyone I'll happily add them if you tell me!  The people involved were:
  • The Wildcats of Kilkenny
  • Ivory Dan McCormack
  • Young Rebel Set
  • Cattle & Cane
  • Southmartins
  • Matty's Bistro
  • Stockton Riverside College
  • Abbey Hill School
  • Stockton Town Choir
  • Lizzie Purdham
  • A brass band
  • A silver statue man whose name I don't know, but who was just marvellous (and easy on the eye, thank you very much Mike!)
I'm sure I've missed people out, and in some cases there were only one or two band members, but as I didn't call the register I can't say exactly who was there (and their mums didn't send in notes to get them out of performing, either!).  What I do know is that every last person who contributed was dedicated, eager and just marvellous.

I said this would be about a feeling, but it's so much more than just one.  Yesterday filled me with feelings of belonging, happiness, acceptance, pride, musicality, youthfulness and pure joy.  Before I joined this choir I would never have believed I could take so many wonderful moments from something without even having to try.  Stockton Town Choir feels more like a movement than a group of people singing.  That so many people from so many different walks of life can come together to just sing and be happy is a wonder to behold, let alone to be a part of, and I'm thankful every day that I found this incredible group of people.  I've become part of a community that I never even knew existed.  It really is that, too; a community.

I know when you think of a choir, usually the images that spring to mind are formal affairs; structured, exact sessions with perfection required before hometime, uniformed performances, choreographed movements right down to the flick of a wrist and a click of the fingers.  Stockton Town Choir isn't like that; it's informal, sometimes chaotic, completely inclusive, warm and welcoming, and always full of laughter.  Each week we know each other better and better, and it feels like a growing community gathering with one simple goal; sing with everything we are.  And we do.  And the world rights itself, our troubles melt away, our friendships become stronger, and we return home with a positive outlook and a whole lot of love in our hearts.

Is this too much?  Am I making you feel a little nauseous?  Tough.  Deal with it.  I spent a lot of years being Miss Grumpy Knickers, and I'm making up for lost time!

Yesterday's performance was even more joyful than #smile was back in March.  Today there wasn't just singing.  Today there was humour and amusement, magic, juggling, tap dancing, cream scones, surprises (who knew 'Albert' could play piano so well?!), ballet dancing and hell of a lot of clapping!

For me there was also a tear or two, and they were of happiness.  For #smile I was nervous and apprehensive, and I know I felt very aware that people were watching me.  I enjoyed it immensely and came away wanting to do more and more, but today was different.  The Piano saw me lose myself amongst it all, and as we sang:

I'll see you through your bad times
I'll see you through your fears
I'll see you through your hangups
Yes, I'll dry all your tears

... I looked into the crowd and there was dad.  Right there at the front, looking for all the world like he would burst into childlike sobs in a heartbeat.  As I sang those words they weren't just for Stockton, they were for him too; my wonderful, strong, supportive, unconditionally loving dad, and that's when the lump hit my throat.


But of course it was for Stockton too; a town in which I no longer work, have never lived and only occasionally visit (though I do now visit more and more frequently even outside of the choir), and I happily drive the short distance to choir practice and performances because, well with everything I've written up there ^ why in the world wouldn't I take that drive?!  I've said it before and I'll say it again; it's okay to give to or do something for communities of which you've never been a part.  We do it all the time when we throw money in buckets for Comic or Sport Relief, Children in Need and so many other charities.  What we forget sometimes is that we can make things better with good will too; a song, a dance, a smile, a thank you, even just a nod to someone to show that we're aware they're not just part of the landscape and that they do matter.




Yesterday's weather was a shame.  The rain held off, but the biting, cold wind kept some people away from Stockton High Street so the crowd unfortunately wasn't as big as I expected.  There was, however, a second little helping of music and frivolity in the Storytellers pub in... you guessed it... Stockton.  It's been a looooooooooong time since I enjoyed music and company like that, and I can't even remember the last time I was in a pub.  Shocking, I know!



It was standing room only in the pub and it soon became hot, sticky and uncomfortable, but it was overflowing with incredible music from fantastic musicians, more dancing, more singing, more bemused people when the choir joined in with our harmonising 'oooohs' and 'aaaaaahs', and a lovely little bar buffet. 



  
The amount of dedication shown by so many people throughout the whole of The Piano, parts 1 (High Street) and 2 (Storytellers), is astonishing.  Folks want to make their town a better place, and to make the people who live there feel better about their town and themselves.  I love that.
I've written this without looking at any photographs or video footage (except my own) or comments from internet trolls who don't like to have their miserable lives uplifted.  I can't give you their perspective on The Piano, but you already know mine and it involves a whole lot of love.

Yesterday in Stockton there was music and dancing.

There was a piano at its heart, but there were people at its soul.



Click here for a taster of the fun at the Storyteller's!



No comments:

Post a Comment