Friday 29 March 2013

An exercise in happiness

It seemed fitting that my first post on this new blog would be all about the fantastic #smile.  It was originally posted on Witchetty Grub, but I felt the need for a separate blog for the good things in life.  So, here it is.

My first H.A.P.P.Y. post  :D

-------------------------------

A handful of people tried to belittle what a large, diverse group of people did purely to put smiles on people's faces on Stockton High Street yesterday, Friday 15 March 2013.  This is my response, and I hope that even if it doesn't make the negative people consider others more, perhaps it will help those negative comments fade into the background for those of us who were uplifted and happy on a cold day in Stockton.

#smile


I made a decision in the new year, and especially more recently, to be happier; to be thankful for and appreciate the beautiful and wonderful world and people around me, and to try to bring a little more joy into other people's lives too.

When I joined Stockton Town Choir I had no idea I would end up being involved in something as incredible as #smile.  A year ago I wouldn't have dreamed of singing in public regardless of how many people were singing with me, so yesterday was more than nerve wracking for me.  I rearranged my working week to be part of it and it's one of the most wonderful things I've ever done.  And I want more!

Spreading happiness and working towards a sense of pride about not only where we live, but who we are, starts with one person.  You.  Sadly, no matter what we do as individuals, if someone can't or refuses to see the good things in life and just be happy, for however brief a moment, we won't make a difference to them.  But for the countless others who just want to be happy, why stop?

I used to work in Stockton.  I've never lived there, and I rarely visit anymore.  Should I have let that stop me from wanting to be part of such a positive beast as #smile just because I live 10 miles away?  For many people it's a struggle just to be happy within themselves.  I get that.  I've been there.  It gives me an understanding that perhaps some others don't get, so since reading the negativity from a tiny percentage of people who witnessed what Mike McGrother pulled together yesterday, I took a step back.  I slept on it.  I decided this morning that I wouldn't be negative.  I won't 'bite'.

I would only suggest one thing to those people with nothing positive to say about #smile.  Take a moment to stop and consider this; happiness spreads faster than a virus, but so can misery.  The feedback from yesterday proves that the people who want to be happy are in the majority in a BIG way.  Do you really choose to be in the minority who can't find the joy in something that's obviously so special?  Do you really want to spread that to the people you love?  Do you want the next generations to find the bad in everything around them, or would you rather they can see the joy and help others see it too?  You can be the start of a change in outlook that can help everyone around you to enjoy their moments on this earth without feeling the need to justify why they just feel happy.  No one should ever have to justify happiness.

Yesterday I was proud to be part of #smile.  I would have stood there singing all day to make more people happier.  I even started dancing, and I never dance!  I had the biggest smile on my face while I was singing and dancing, looking out at all those faces smiling back at us all, some with tears in their eyes, some joining in.

See us #smile


I was, and still am, proud of every last person involved in yesterday's performance.  I'm grateful for the new friends I've made through the choir, and I hope to make more.  I'm happy to know we made people's lives a little more joyful, regardless of how short-lived it may have been.

I'm awed by the infectiously determined and genuinely lovely Mike McGrother, who worked his backside off to pull together #smile.  I have no doubt that he suffered sleepless nights and lost hair while organising it, and I know even without asking them that every last person involved yesterday is incredibly grateful for everything he did.

I'm going to continue to try to make people's lives a little more pleasant.  I'll respond cheerily when the supermarket worker greets me as though we've been friends for years.    I'll leave friendly notes for colleagues when I haven't seen them for a few days.  I'll smile and thank people for holding open a door for me, and I'll do the same for others.  I'll let other drivers into traffic when I actually want to be stubborn and make them wait.  I'll randomly send chocolate through the internal mail to colleagues with just a note to say they're appreciated.  I'll continue to be the best version of myself I can possibly be, and hope that someone's day is a little brighter because of it.

And one day I'll stand up again on a high street in the cold and the threatening rain, maybe Stockton, maybe not, and I'll sing and dance like it's the last thing I'm ever going to do on this earth.

It makes me happy.

I want it to make you happy too!

For those who weren't there, here are a couple of videos of #smile.  I'm hoping more start popping up.  I've just watched this through for the first time and I cried a little, but with a big smile on my face all over again.

Watch us #smile 1

Watch us #smile 2 


BTW, did you know that Wednesday 20 March is the International Day of Happiness?  What will you do to make someone's day a little brighter?

Love to you all.  Thanks for reading this far!

K x



No comments:

Post a Comment